The Answer To The Question Nobody Asked: Cracker Jack Vs. Crunch 'N Munch



As a self proclaimed consumer of popcorn I pride myself on eating delicious popcorns of all flavors. Okay, not really pride, but I eat the stuff at any given opportunity. Butter, Moose Tracks, Caramel, Cheddar, Plain, it's all good.

In a recent visit to Walmart, my girlfriend brought home a box of Crunch 'n Munch as well as a bag of Cracker Jack (there is no "S" on the end of that despite popular pluralizing of the word). So I did the only thing I knew I could do efficiently - Eat them both.

However, before I dug in, I wanted to see what exactly the difference could possibly be between both brands. I mean, caramel popcorn with peanuts is caramel popcorn with peanuts no matter how you slice it, right?

So much to learn you have.

In a side by side comparison there are very noticeable differences. Crack Jack popcorn is considerably darker showing a color I would identify with in terms of caramel. Meanwhile, Crunch 'n Munch has a much lighter color which I would say more so distinguishes itself as butter.


Let's go in for a closer look.


For a snack that boasts it's caramel popcorn and peanuts, there's definitely something missing here from my handful. Where are the peanuts? Answer: At the bottom of the bag. If you want a combination of both flavors you're definitely going to have to dig deep - Or you're already at the bottom of the bag, which just makes me sad.

Taste wise, Cracker Jack popcorn is crunchy with a delicious candy coating. It has a nice caramel flavor and the husks get stuck in your teeth quite nicely. Okay, maybe that's not a perk, but it is common with popcorn.

Overall, it's really tasty.


Crunch 'n Munch gets points for having the peanuts incorporated into the popcorn. Unlike Cracker Jack which simply tosses the peanuts in the bag as an afterthought, Crunch 'n Munch is mixed together adhering the two into one.

Also unlike Cracker Jack popcorn, Crunch 'n Munch is stuck together in clusters. Whereas with Cracker Jack you get each individual piece of popcorn.A perk if you don't intend on shoveling the snack into your mouth, but rather enjoying each piece.

It turns out that buttery color isn't deceiving as that's honestly what it tastes like - Buttered popcorn. I don't get a sense of caramel flavor out of it - At all. I even tried sucking on a piece to experience the flavor more and it still more so represented a butter flavor more than anything. Admittedly the popcorn is slightly softer giving it an almost fresher taste. That's appealing.

Overall, if I'm in the mood for a caramel popcorn snack I'm going to have to go with Cracker Jack. I don't hate the fact it's crunchier than Crunch 'n Munch, though I will admit I'd love to see and taste a softer / fresher version of the brand. In the end though, it wins out on the caramel flavor and honestly that's what I'm after when eating caramel popcorn. It's also healthier for you in terms of calories, sodium and fat - You know, if you're into that sort of thing.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

4 comments:

  1. Did the Cracker Jack have a decent prize or a crappy sticker? I remember a time of real prizes mostly plastic but sometimes metal... also lots of peanuts mixed with fresh caramel covered popcorn... last time I ate Cracker Jack I was sorely disappointed and let down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't honestly open the prizes. It's never anything good, so why spoil a great bag of popcorn with a downer prize?

      Delete
  2. I'm a crunch n munch man myself,but when I'm feeling nostalgic ,i'll crack open a box ,not a bag ,of Cracker Jacks.I also remember a time when the prizes were at least plastic .Now you get alot of stickers and tattoos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prizes are pretty weak...Lame if you will.

      Delete